I have heard a lot about "Cauliflower Pizzas". I even read that some are calling cauliflowers the new kale! A new twist on a old favourite?
I thought the pizza would be horrible, I thought I would hate it and would amount to a big waste of time. I was wrong! It was so good. There was a slight issue in that the mixture was still wet at step 7, however I resolved this by adding 5 teaspoons of plain flour. Is that what made the pizza such a success? I'm not sure... I will have to make it again, this time omitting the flour.
1 cauliflower, ( medium, approx. 500g)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mixed herbs
125g light mozzarella ball (grated)
150g light mature cheddar
1 tsp paprika
5 tsp plain flower (optional) (if mixture feels to wet)
enough passata to cover the pizza (I used pizza express passata)
Toppings of you choice.
1 red chilli, sliced
1 green chilli, sliced
mixed peppers, chopped
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (fan) 200 (conventional) and pop in a pizza stone or baking tray.
2. Wash and dry the cauliflower head, discarding the stalks. Place the florets in food processor.
3. Whizz the cauliflower until it resembles cooked rice.
4. Place the cauliflower rice in a microwavable bowl, and heat on high power for six minutes.
5. Tip the cauliflower rice onto a clean tea towel (I realised a muslin cloth would be better) and allow to cool a little.
6. When you can handle the cauliflower, squeeze out as much liquid as you can, then squeeze out some more...
7. Add the cauliflower into a bowl, add the egg (whisked), paprika, mixed herbs, 90g of the mozzarella and 100g of the cheddar cheese into a bowl and mix well. (at this stage I panicked... the mixture seemed too wet... did I need to squeeze more liquid out at step 6? I added 5 tsps. of plain flour). Roll the base mix into a ball.
8. Oil 2 pieces of baking paper about the same size as the pizza stone. Place the ball into the middle of one of the pieces of baking paper. Top the ball with the other piece of paper. Place a flat chopping board on top and apply enough pressure until you have a nice round pizza base.
9. Discard the top sheet of paper and carefully lift the base with the bottom piece, placing it on the pizza stone.
10. Bake the base for 10 minutes, until golden
11. Remove the base from the oven, mine looked like this.
12. Top the pizza with the Passata and toppings and remaining mozzarella and Cheddar. Return to the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until the cheese has melted.