We went for our annual Family Christmas meal at the Bulls Head on Christmas Eve.The Bulls Head is a big place and it was busy. I Love this place. The staff are helpful and the place is amazing. There were fourteen of us, so I got to try a bit of everyone's food! It's a hard job!
We usually try to book the conservatory.
The food is superb! I have been here about tens times and have not had a bad meal.
The portions are generous and great quality too.
I went for the Christmas Menu, as I was doing turkey and all the trimmings on Christmas day, I avoided the "Christmas Fayre".
The Christmas menu was £20/25 depending on the time you dined.
To start I had the Potted game, piccalilli, rocket & parmesan salad and charred home-made breads & a drizzle of olive oil.
For my main I went for the Centre cut rolled 8oz rump steak, artichoke puree, fondant potato, caramelised squash, pepper sauce and dressed watercress.
The steak was cooked medium rare to perfection.
The choices on the table varied some going for the soup, turkey and Christmas creation and others ordering from the normal menu.
Most of the table had the Butternut squash & ginger soup to start. It went down a treat! I have to agree with the foodie family it was good! One of my sisters even recreated the soup a few days later. I will ask her for the recipe, watch this space.
My wife had the Salmon & ginger fish cakes with lemon mayo. The ginger did not really come through in the fishcakes.
Others on the table had:
Fish & chips premium cod fillet in a ‘Freedom’ batter (locally brewed premium lager), real chips, mushy peas, home-made tartare (£11.50). This dish is huge. the best quote came from my brother in law... "this is a two man job". I will have to have a whole one next time. I had some, OMG the batter was light and crispy, the fish and proper chips surpass many a chipshop. I also love the way this one is served.
My mum went for a vegi option. She had the Spinach Tart, Wilted spinach, sautéed wild mushroom & stilton rarebit short crust pastry tart, red pepper coulis. She said her usual line when it comes to food "it's nice". A woman of few words. I did not try this one as I was already full and still had dessert to come!
One of my nephews had chicken lollipop with chips. again an amazing batter and moist chicken.
The only suggestion I have is.... extend the carpark :)
What they say:
1. Warm people - we really have got the nicest people on the team.. and they all want you to have a great experience
2. Fresh - quality - homemade food - in an unserious way
3. The BIGGEST range of beer & cider in Derbyshire... it’s a permanent beer festival....reassuringly extensive!
4. Voted the best wood fired pizza in Derbyshire... #FACT
5. The BIGGEST range of premium soft drinks in Derbyshire
6. Yakitori sticks - Sooo tasty !
7. Fresh artisan gelato.. we make it ourselves...everyday!
8. Fresh home-made lemonade with a dollop of fresh lemon sorbet on top..... slurps away
9. Different places... all in one place: - pub.. nice n cosy - restaurant.. upstairs... nearer the gods - garden room... the great outdoors - indoors - secret sun terrace....sssh!
10. Home of the goldfish in a bag... CARP DIEM!
The Bulls Head Website