This is one of my favourite dishes. I made it under this grill on this occassion and it gave it a really nice "charred" taste. It's very easy to increase the ingrediants if you want to make a bigger batch. There was enough marriade for another few pieces of chicken.
You don't need to buy a tandoori masala mix or use ready made tandoori paste, and you definately dont need any red food colouring!
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 large thumb-sized piece of ginger
1/2 a lemon , juice from
60 g low-fat natural yoghurt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp garam masala
2 chicken legs and 1 chicken breast
1/4 a bunch of fresh coriander
2 cloves of garlic
2-5 fresh green chillies
1 pinch cumin seeds
1/2 tsp salt
1. Roughly chop the garlic, chillies, ginger and corriander and place in mini food processor and whizz to a smooth paste.
2. Meanwhile cut slits in the chicken
3. Add the paste, dry spices, salt, lemon juice and yogurt to a bowl and mix well.
4. Pop the marinated chicken in a ziplock bag and place in the fridge overnight.
5. When you are ready to cook, take the chicken out of the fridge and let it come to room temprature.
6. Pre-heat the grill to high
7. Brush the grill rack with oil
8. Grill for 35-40 minutes turning frequently until charrged and cooked through. (The breast takes less time).
Serve with a simple salad, mint yougurt chutney and naan bread.