This is a really easy dish and it goes great with basmati rice and yogurt. The dish is cheap to make and we always have the ingredients in, which makes it a go to store cupboard dinner. This is a dish I have eaten 100's of times but this was the first time I made it!
1 Can kidney beans
1/2 Tin chopped tomato
2 Medium onions, finely chopped
2 or 3 Cloves garlic
1 Thumb ginger
5 New potatoes
1/4 Teaspoon tumric
Pinch cumin seeds
1 Teaspoon garam masala
1 Teaspoon ground coriander and cumin powder
Handful of chopped coriander leaves
1-2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1. Heat the oil in a pan, When hot add the cumin seeds until they splutter, then add the onions and a teaspoon of salt. You want them to brown. It will take from 10 to 15 minutes. If they catch just add a tablespoon of water every time they do.
You want them to look like this.
3. Add the spices and cook for 2-3 minutes. If it catches just add a tablespoon of water.
4. Add the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Drain and rinse the kidney beans, add to the pan.
7. Add approx 1 litre of water. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked and the sauce thickens. Check seasoning and salt to taste if required.
8. Switch off the heat and add the chopped coriander.
I also served it with rice, yogurt and a mushroom curry. The recipe to follow.